Summer rolls are like portable salads that are bundled up in thin and translucent sheets of rice paper. They are the easiest appetizer to make for your parties especially during summertime. And the best part is, you can prepare them a day in advance and fill them with vegetables of your choice. Just cover them with damp paper towel, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Veggie Summer Rolls
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 5 min
Ready in: 25 min
Yields: 6 Servings
12 rice papers
1 cup rice noodles
1 large carrot washed, peeled and cut into thin slivers
1 large cucumber washed, peeled and cut into thin slivers
1 cup soft lettuce
2 green onions, washed and sliced diagonally
1 cup cilantro, mint or basil
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Cut rice noodles in half and add to the pot. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until noodles are soft. Drain and set aside to cool. You can also soak them in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Fill a large shallow bowl with warm water. Place 1 rice paper in the water and soak until pliable, about 30 seconds (the rice paper should still be slightly firm. It will get softer as it absorbs the water). Remove from water and lay flat on a clean work surface (a plastic cutting board or a large ceramic plate).
- Lay few lettuce leaves flat on the rice paper, close to top one-third of the rice paper. Add rice noodles, few strips of carrots and cucumbers. Top with few herb leaves of your choice. Don’t overfill.
- Carefully fold the rice paper over the fillings. Tuck both ends in and roll tightly.
- Repeat with the remaining rice paper sheets. Transfer the rolls to a serving plate and cover with plastic wrap.
Serve with your choice of sauce (recipes follow).
Dipping Sauces (simply mix the ingredients in a bowl)
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
Spicy Peanut Sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon hot chili oil
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Lemon and Ginger Sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
1 tablespoon water, or to taste
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Garlic and Soy Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon hot sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Pinch of sugar